Tuesday, January 17, 2012

gluten free, dairy free, HOME made Chicken Nuggets

Gluten Free?
yes... 
makes things difficult
Dairy free
yes.. some of us (little man) are Casein free
yep 
that makes it MORE difficult 
but
we shall NOT be defeated
we WILL eat wonderful, nutritious, delicious foods!
To start
I got some eggs
I always save my shells,
my coffee grinds
my onion peels
potato peels
carrot peels
celery ends
etc
to go into my compost

I would LOVE a super cool compost bucket
like this neat one from OXO
or
like this one from RSVP
or
like this one from Le Chef
the French White Ceramic is darling
and it's being square is just
SO 
unique!
instead
for NOW
I am being very 
"Dave Ramsey" 
as we call it here at the farm
meaning 
Penurious.
what does "penurious" mean?
Adj.1.penurious - not having enough money to pay for necessities
poor - having little money or few possessions; "deplored the gap between rich and poor countries"; "the proverbial poor artist living in a garret"
2.penurious - excessively unwilling to spend; "parsimonious thrift relieved by few generous impulses"; "lived in a most penurious manner--denying himself every indulgence"
stingyungenerous - unwilling to spend; "she practices economy without being stingy"; "an ungenerous response to the appeal for funds


 you could also say cheap..
but penurious just SOUNDS nicer
but ..
really isn't
so we also say
"dave"
and I just use a bowl to put my kitchen compost in!
then I send out Buddy to dump it in the BIG compost

adding a little salt & pepper
I scrambled about 6 eggs  
in an ENTIRELY different bowl
cut up a bag (previously frozen)
of Chicken Breast
any meat works for this
chicken tenderloin, a WHOLE chicken
with bone
with out bone
really it's quite versatile 

yep
it's a super handy helper here at the farm
some day 
when I am not in construction zone
and I have a real kitchen again
I will be 100% 
(ok 95%)
Nourishing Traditions girl
making my own EVERYTHING
but for now
I need some healthy shortcuts
and Betty is THERE for me 
but as THERE for me as Betty is..
she's a bit bland
and THAT is ok
because I AM NOT!
I add a bit of 
Sea Salt
Mrs. Dash
Herbs de Provence
Garlic
Paprika
to her blend

I usually use a brown bag..
but improv is a good thing
and ALL I had was Ziploc
so 
Viva la Ziploc! 
I mix Betty's Blend
and MY spice blend together
by carefully CLOSING the bag
and shaking it a LOT
Buddy LOVES to do this part!
I just like to be the one who CLOSES the bag
because
well..
need I explain?

then I plug in and preheat my fancy dancy ELECTRIC skillet
I actually like this BETTER than any other way to cook it
I have had this for 14 years or so
it was my Tante Renate's before it was mine
I LOVE IT!
it has traveled ALL over the United States of America with us
that and my crockpots..
but to be frank, I am on like my 5th crockpot
and this thing is ONLY NOW
starting to show it's getting worn down..

I add my oil
now..
this is OLIVE OIL
yes
extra virgin 
yummy 
and all that.
(I get mine at Costco)
but it is again IMPROV of me to use it
because usually I use
cold pressed, organic (etc etc etc)
Coconut Oil
I get mine from Tropical Traditions...
but we ran out!
and Olive Oil is a plenty in our lives
(Costco is LOVED!)
so I will use it for this recipe

now to bread my chicken
I don't follow Betty's instructions EXACTLY
I drop my chicken in the GF mix
and then in the egg mix
and then BACK into the GF mix
shaking it well
and making sure it is evenly coated at each step
I do it all at once
as it is neater, cleaner and faster that way..
NOW I am ready for the cooking process

the THING about cooking in Olive oil is..
I won't get QUITE the same SEAR
as I would with Coconut oil
as the two oils have different smoke points
so I have a fan going
and my heat is a little less than is typical

see how nice it's starting to look..

cooking for a WHOLE crew
Machine Man
C.S.
Princess
Buddy
Little Man
Opa
and myself
means
a whole LOTTA chicken
so I grab a chair and a soda
(love coca cola)

and fry away..
putting the chicken between layers of paper towel to absorb the oils
it's the BEST!!!!
the breading LOCKS in the moisture making it hard to overcook 
(at least I think so)
so it ends up a crunchy nugget shell
with a moist piece of chicken inside
YUMMY!

No comments: