Thursday, February 9, 2012

crocodiles?

we hear it ALL the time
i do NOT exaggerate friends
it is at LEAST a dozen times a day
most likely 
a dozen times an hour
"Mama" or "Papa"
"I have a question...."
notice he NEVER 
i mean NEVER
just ASKS the question
it is rather...
an announcement
it sort of DEMANDS that you ask HIM the question
"what's your question Buddy?"
and then HE feels SO helpful in sharing the question with you.
all sorts of questions
they never stop
they go on and on and on
probably for 
eternity
but we can't see that far
because it just doesn't stop
nope
he'll WAKE up
and 
come DOWNSTAIRS
to 
announce
YES
ANNOUNCE 
that he has
a QUESTION
today's funniest SO far?
"Mama... "
"I have a Question...."
long pause
maybe if i pretend i am REALLY enthralled in what I am doing
it might stop..
still paused..
"MAMA, perhaps you didn't hear me, but
I have a QUESTION"
i turn
praying to God for a serene look to appear on my face
"yes Buddy... that's nice"
(new approach)
"yes Mama.. don't you want to KNOW what my question is?"
(new approach thwarted)
"sure Buddy" 
(I smile.. he's SO darling)
"Well, I want to KNOW if Crocodiles can climb trees
and If they can't 
can they knock a tree down IF I climb it?
and how thick ought the tree be that I ought to climb
IF that is I ought to climb at all?
I just really need to know
the next time a crocodile chases me..
what I ought to do"
to this I answer
"pray Buddy.. PRAY"
he gives me the LOOK
and asks Princess to google it for him...
oh MY
I thought we lived in the 
NORTHERN part of the MIDWEST?
crocodiles?

No comments: